From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Looking for alternative to RESTRICT=userpriv
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 03:01:31
1 Steven J. Long wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 07:52:02AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 > > The IPC implementation that I've suggested does not involve an SUID
4 > > helper, so it is much more secure. Security would rely on the permission
5 > > bits of the named pipes that are used to implement IPC.
6 ..
7 > I don't see how that's "more secure"
8
9 It's a lot more secure to have a single well-defined privileged trust
10 anchor (the privileged process) with a well-defined protocol, than to
11 have built-in privilege escalation which allows arbitrary actions.
14 > Not sure what a daemon buys you
15
16 Not requiring built-in privilege escalation.
19 //Peter