From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:42:18
1 Santiago M. Mola wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Ryan Hill wrote:
4 >>> I'm guessing the dev would need to change 0.26.live to 0.26.1.live when
5 >>> 0.26 was released. I already need to do this with my live ebuilds. Of
6 >>> course, with some projects you never know if the next version will be
7 >>> 0.26.1, 0.27, or 0.3, or 1.0...
8 >> That's an upstream issue, all we should care is about getting a version
9 >> value that makes sense for us, better if it does for them.
12 > I think upstream use release branches correctly here, and it's the
13 > most widespread use.
14 >
15 > There's some real examples where ".live" = "_pre" has problems.
16 >
17 > * media-video/mplayer: I'd expect 1.0.live to be higher than 1.0_rc2,
18 > but it doesn't. I'd also expect 1.0.live to be higher than 1.0 when
19 > it's released.
20
21 MPlayer has a psychological issue with 1.0 versioning, still 1.0.live
22 correctly isn't higher than 1.0
25 > * media-video/ffmpeg: Pretty much the same that mplayer, but a bit worse.
26
27 No, ffmpeg does "continuous release" every commit must not add
28 regressions and the ABI/API is marked, a correct version for ffmpeg is
29 given by taking the combination of the libraries major version.
30
31 Every major version update I'll have to update the live ebuild because
32 of that and this is correct.
35 > * x11-wm/enlightenment: latest release is 0.16.8.13, current live
36 > ebuild is 0.16.9999. If we use ".live" here we'd need either
37 > 0.16.9999.live (which is quite pointless) or 0.16.8.14.live which
38 > would need to be updated after every minor release. 0.17.live is not a
39 > possibility at all since 0.17 is a rewrite from scratch and an entire
40 > different application.
41
42 0.16.9.live sounds that bad?
43
44 > With the current proposal, .live ebuilds should be changed after every
45 > minor release, unless we use the number of the next release.
46
47 You do pick what is good for you.
48
49 > Next release isn't always known, and it's doesn't always make sense. This
50 > puts us in a worse situation than with GLEP 54, or even with the
51 > current use of .9999 components.
52
53 I don't see how. Keep in mind that -9999 ebuild should just stay in
54 overlay and shouldn't be used by average users. The should help us
55 developer tracking projects and get us to the point of having a snapshot
56 for common usage.
59 lu
63 Luca Barbato
64 Gentoo Council Member