From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The /run migration
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 14:22:40
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 06/02/13 09:18 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 > On 06/02/13 09:02 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
6 >> On 06/02/2013 14:58, Markos Chandras wrote:
7 >>> Thanks. Would it made sense to symlink /var/run -> /run so we
8 >>> don't end up with stable entries in /var/run directory? Some
9 >>> of my init scripts appear to reported as "crashed" whereas the
10 >>> process is running just fine. I suspect this is because a
11 >>> stale entry is in /var/run directory (or /run I am not sure)
12 >
13 >> I would say that we should have that symlink, and I told
14 >> WilliamH so before. I think he was going to ask Mike (vapier)
15 >> about adding the symlink to baselayout itself, so that it doesn't
16 >> get reaped away.
17 >
18 >> I agree that the symlink should stay there for compatibility at
19 >> least, which should also answer Ian's question.
22 > OK - so I've noticed some issues with the way the /run migration
23 > has gone down; it seems that a lot of systems do not have a
24 > consistent migration and as I don't remember (and my initial look
25 > couldn't find) the details for its implementation, I'm hoping
26 > someone can chime in and (A) describe the process as it is supposed
27 > to work, and (B) point out where it's implemented so that this
28 > implementation can be adjusted (or how it's been adjusted can be
29 > reviewed) to get everyone's system to a consistent state.
30 >
31 > Normally i'd just ask WilliamH on irc, but since this is more of a
32 > forensic discussion i thought it better to do it here..
33 >
34 > So, *my* systems do have /var/run -> /run , which means at some
35 > point the /run migration did happen and compatibility symlinks were
36 > created. If hwoarang's systems don't have this, there must be an
37 > issue somewhere.
38 >
39 > Now, with /run migration itself -- WilliamH and I discussed this
40 > issue where /run (when the initial change was to be made if
41 > upgrading to openrc-0.11.x) would always have a symlink to
42 > /lib/something/openrc/ in the directory itself (that is, underneath
43 > the tmpfs mount). However when I investigated, I discovered that
44 > two of my systems had actual dead directories and temp files in
45 > /run (and no symlink). Code has been added to /etc/init.d/bootmisc
46 > to clean out anything in /run underneath the tmpfs, but it might be
47 > pertinent to figure out why this happened in the first place, as it
48 > might be related to why the /var/run symlink might not have been
49 > created (and relate to other inconsistencies we haven't found
50 > yet).
54 As a follow up -- there are probably two cases to look at; #1 are
55 stable-only users (so just what happens when the stable bumps
56 occurred), and #2 are ~arch users and/or ~arch keyworders. I'm going
57 to guess that the majority of inconsistencies with the planned results
58 will come from #2 as the different implementations of /run migration
59 would have taken place differently with each ~arch bump depending on
60 who installed what when..