From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:42:45
1 On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 16:27:39 -0400
4 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Packages currently handle installation of vim syntax support files
6 >> inconsistently. Some builds install the files if the "vim-syntax" USE
7 >> flag is enabled, while others install them unconditionally.
8 >>
9 >> Do these files fall into the "small text files" category for
10 >> unconditional installation? If so, we should probably phase out the
11 >> vim-syntax USE flag.
12 >>
13 >> If we want to keep the USE flag, I would suggest documenting a global
14 >> policy regarding its use. Should that live in the devmanual? Or maybe
15 >> the Vim project page?
16 >
17 > One potential issue is help files: any Vim plugin that comes with
18 > documentation needs a little script (which requires Vim to be installed)
19 > to be run in pkg_postinst.
20
21 Thanks for pointing that out. Sounds like we need some documentation
22 on how to properly install vim-related files.