From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge suggestions
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 16:02:37
1 Can we change the behavior of "emerge rsync" to not preserve perms?
2 Right now when I rsync, I get files and directories that are 777, 2777,
3 etc. I don't think that people expect to update their portage tree and
4 have the entire thing be a security nightmare. 8(
5
6 I know that the more correct solution would be to ensure that the perms
7 are correct on the rsync server. However, since those seem to be victim
8 to chmod-rot, I think we should make sure that at least the client-side
9 behaves as expected...
10
11 Also, any chance of having it ignore something like /usr/portage/local?
12 That way people using rsync could make out of tree changes and not have
13 them blown away each time they update their tree.
14
15 --Jerry
16
17 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
18 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
19 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
20 || than that!