From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic Modularization
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:36:26
1 On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 12:45:05AM -0600, Keziah W wrote:
2 > I got this idea and I'm not sure if it would be feasible, but if it is,
3 > it could lead to many Cool Things:
4 > Is there any reason not to have dynamic libraries for most of the
5 > changes made by USE flags, that are used only if present, and then the
6 > USE flags would just specify whether to compile that library?
7
8 These type of dependencies are already in use by quite a lot of packages.
9 For instance,
10
11 DEPEND="blabla
12 opengl? ( >= x11-base/opengl-update-2.2.0 )
13 ..."
14
15 If you haven't set USE="opengl" prior to the installation and you have
16 altered your USE variable to contain opengl afterwards, a simple
17 emerge --update --deep --newuse world
18 will trigger the USE-flag change and rebuild the package with the "new"
19 dependency.
20
21 This isn't always possible though, sometimes packages have the required
22 support code in their own code; trying to separate that from the "core" is a
23 difficult and time-consuming job. If upstream doesn't do this, it would be
24 a pain for Gentoo to perform and maintain.
25
26 Wkr,
27 Sven Vermeulen
30 Documentation project leader - Gentoo Foundation Trustee
31
32 The Gentoo Project <<< http://www.gentoo.org >>>