From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The bindist USE flag and RESTRICT=bindist
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 00:10:19
1 On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 > IMHO, the bindist USE flag is redundant in these cases. So we should
3 > get rid of the REQUIRED_USE and add a restriction instead:
4 >
5 > IUSE="foo"
6 > RESTRICT="foo? ( bindist )"
7 >
8 > What do you think? Should we proceed in this direction?
9
10 I like it. I think you should proceed.
11
12 I proposed a relevant change for www-client/chromium in a previous thread.
15 > While discussing the issue in #-releng, it was also suggested that a
16 > news item should be prepared, to inform users that they cannot rely on
17 > USE=bindist. (They cannot rely on it already now, though.) Does it
18 > make sense to have a news item for this?
19 >
20 > Ulrich
23 > [1] We also have some 300 packages that are mirror restricted but not
24 > bindist restricted. It is likely that at least for part of them
25 > binaries cannot be redistributed either. That is a separate issue,
26 > though.
27 > [2] Thanks to aballier for pointing this out in bug 541588.