From: Nick Fortino <nfortino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 01:19:02
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:39:40 -0700
3 > Nick Fortino <nfortino@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Given the above, it should be clear that any argument which states
6 >> some future improvement to the ebuild format will be impossible based
7 >> upon making the wrong choice between proposal 1 and proposal 2 must be
8 >> invalid, as they have the same expressive power. Note that allowable
9 >> algorithms for which the proof works includes caching and version
10 >> ordering as well as the simple execution of the ebuild.
13 > Unfortunately, your argument is entirely wrong, as can be illustrated
14 > by a simple counter-example that you would already know about, had you
15 > read the GLEP or the thread.
16 >
17 > With EAPI in a fixed format, it is impossible to allow extensions to the
18 > version format in future EAPIs. Even given a fixed format and a constant
19 > extension, adding foo-1.23-rc1.ebuild will cause breakage, but adding
20 > foo-1.23-rc1.ebuild-4 will not.
21 >
22 > This has already been covered at length, and is explained in the GLEP.
23 > Why did you disregard this when posting your 'proof'?
26 I didn't intentionally disregard that case, but I see your point. I made
27 the assumption that package mangers wouldn't try to source ebuilds with
28 a sourcing EAPI they didn't understand. I concede this is a terrible
29 assumption, unless such a thing is specified in the PMS itself. It is
30 still fixed by a single extension change, as opposed to a whole set.
31 Once this is done, simply state that all package managers should ignore
32 EAPIs they don't understand (a requirement of GLEP-55 as well).
33
34 Your point still does not dispute that specifying the EAPI within the
35 ebuild and outside the ebuild convey identical information (this is all
36 I was trying to prove in the first place). For the case you bring up:
37 If foo-1.23-rc1.ebuild is added, it must not be in any of the currently
38 existing EAPIs, for if it were, it would be illegal. Thus, a package
39 manager would open this file, get the sourcing EAPI in an EAPI
40 independent way, realize it doesn't understand, and abort the sourcing
41 of that ebuild. Changing the extension once insures current package
42 managers don't try to do things they aren't capable of (I apologize for
43 not putting this in my first mailing). Given this change, however, I
44 still assert the statement of the two schemes have identical expressive
45 power.
46
47 For versioning, it has been pointed out (by you and others) that getting
48 the latest version would require, under any implementation, opening N
49 files in case 1, and reading N file names in case 2. I do not dispute
50 this in any way. Instead, I would like to point out that moving the
51 argument from features which are possible to support (which I still
52 contend are essentially identical), to efficiency vs. a perceived
53 prettiness would be significant progress. Indeed, at this point it would
54 be possible to make a decision based on reference implementations for
55 known common use cases, and an executive council decision about whether
56 timing or extension consistency is more important. If it turns out that
57 using a solution of type 1 takes minutes to resolve versions, than by
58 all means, GLEP-55 is by far the best proposed solution. If, instead,
59 the runtime difference in real use cases is negligible, then the pure
60 philosophical arguments for using a single extension holds true (in my
61 opinion).
62
63 Nick Fortino