From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:29:09
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 03:15:05PM -0600, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > Can we please get a consistent answer on 2.6 kernels when it comes to
3 > sparc? We used to have sparc-development-sources, which we were told to
4 > consolidate into development-sources. Now today with absolutely 0
5 > notification what-so-ever, our patchsets to development-sources were
6 > yanked because it wasn't the appropriate place.
7
8 Sorry for the stress. There really isn't a kernel team anymore, becides
9 me and a few others, and we all seem strung accross different timezones
10 these days.
11
12 Here's the answer:
13 - development-sources are clean kernel.org kernels
14 - gentoo-dev-sources are the current 2.6 kernel trees for all
15 arches. There is no cesspool of patches in there, and it is
16 the kernel for the ppc64, amd64, x86, and a few other arches.
17 Making it the sparc kernel too is no big deal.
18
19 This is needed so that bugs and security fixes that previously have not
20 gotten put into the d-s package get applied across all arches quickly
21 and easily.
22
23 I am willing and able to help the sparc team (and any other arch) to
24 make the g-d-s package work for them.
25
26 Is that acceptable?
27
28 thanks,
29
30 greg k-h
33 > So what is the appropriate place? Can you as a team please come up with a
34 > singular answer and at least consult all those who will be effected
35 > *before* you change your mind and implement those changes?
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > --
39 > Jason Wever