From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Mozilla 1.5-r1 marked stable on x86
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:27:59
1 Mozilla 1.5 is now stable on x86; some notes for everyone interested..
2
3 It took a few weeks to make sure the ebuild wouldn't be rough around the
4 edges, as some things people have come to expect no longer quite behaved
5 the same. Thanks to everyone for waiting ;)
6
7 The access-builtin extension doesn't build properly as a number of
8 header files on which it depends have been retired upstream; a warning
9 has been placed in the ebuild regarding the building of non-default
10 extensions, just to let everyone know they were never really guaranteed
11 to work outside of the core build.
12
13 Also, SVG support; SVG code in Mozilla versions after August 2002 use
14 old SVG rendering code, which has to be derived from CVS and isn't
15 likely to be terribly useful to people who want to view SVG anyway.
16
17 If you would like to see the old code re-enabled in the mozilla ebuilds,
18 drop me a line; I'm working on importing a snapshot of the newer SVG
19 code from www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/ with some of the developers of
20 that project in a future revision of mozilla-1.5.
21
22 For those using non-x86 architectures, I've replaced 1.4-r3 out of
23 consideration for the developers who may not be able to set aside time
24 to immediately begin testing and marking newer versions of mozilla
25 stable. Apologies to those who briefly saw portage wanting to revert
26 them to mozilla 1.3.
27
28 For users of SPARC, PowerPC, Alpha, AMD64 and other Gentoo-supported
29 architectures, support your developers by testing this ebuild and
30 reporting its functionality to your architecture maintainers so they can
31 combine that with their own experiences and begin moving this version to
32 stable.
33
34 Arch maintainers, please begin testing this ebuild!
35
36 Cheers all,
37 Brad
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list