From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: All Developers!
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 14:16:01
1 Daniel Robbins wrote: [Sat Nov 10 2001, 01:24:42PM EST]
2 > 1) Use one tab per indent
3 >
4 > 2) Put comments on separate lines
5 >
6 > 3) Avoid using "/" line continuation characters and use long lines instead.
7
8 I don't care about 1 and 2, but I agree with Chouser about long lines.
9 I don't mind terribly when I have to edit an existing ebuild with long
10 lines, but *please* don't ask me to write them like that.
11
12 Continuations can make the code more understandable when used
13 appropriately. And it's easy to write continuations that don't have any
14 problem with developers' tabbing preferences:
15
16 ./configure \
17 --prefix=/usr \
18 --mandir=/usr/share/man \
19 --infodir=/usr/share/info
20
21 This might be considered overuse of line continuations, but it makes my
22 point; the code is readable, fits in a standard terminal, and has no
23 issues with tabs.
24
25 Aron