From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing barely used global flags
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 08:25:01
1 On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:41:03 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We seem to have a lot of global flags that are used only by a few
5 > packages. How about moving them to local flags? List of flags with
6 > less than 5 packages using them, ordered by use count, follows. Where
7 > applicable, local flag descriptions are listed.
8
9 No disagreement in principle, however it might be worth checking which
10 of them are practically used at all or could be removed entirely.
11
12 "directfb" caught my attention, which I doubt is very active today.
13 Though the package in question - libggi - only uses the directfb flag
14 in an old ebuild, the latest one hard-disables directfb.
15 So well, if you stabilize libggi-2.2.2-r1 and remove the old ebuild you
16 can entirely get rid of this useflag instead of making it local.
17
18 Plausibly there may be other such cases, i.e. flags that were used in
19 the past, but for things that got deprecated / out of fashion / are
20 practically no longer used.
23 Hanno Böck
24 https://hboeck.de/
25
26 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
27 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42