From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Auto adding packages to world was -> Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 20:31:32
1 On 07/11/2017 01:27 PM, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 07/10/2017 04:37 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 19:22:47 -0400
4 >> "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> That part does not require it to resolve deps. Just check world file,
7 >>> assuming its correct. Though could be thrown off if say gcc, or
8 >>> another was in the world file. I think the profile or set would catch
9 >>> that as it does now and generate a warning, regardless.
10 >>
11 >> Speaking of gcc in the world file. I think portage should STOP adding
12 >> packages that are in the profile or a dep to world. If you merge a
13 >> package as part of a set, I am pretty sure it does not get recorded to
14 >> world, need to confirm, could be wrong.
15 >>
16 >> A rule for portage could be;
17 >>
18 >> - If the package is not in world and already installed. Do not add the
19 >> package to world. If you are re-emerging a package already
20 >> installed. You do not have to use the -1 option.
21 >>
22 >> I have polluted so many world files with system packages and/or
23 >> dependencies I re-emerged directly without -1. Those IMHO should never
24 >> have been recorded to that file. They were brought in by other things.
25 >> Only things in my world should be packages merged directly, not from
26 >> profile, set, or a dep.
27 >>
28 >> I will file a bug on that as well.
29 >>
30 > Whether Portage adds a package to a set or world file is dependent on
31 > how you invoke emerge. Some people (like me) include sets as part of
32 > their world, via /var/lib/portage/world_sets . At that point, sets added
33 > to that file are basically treated as the world package list.
34 >
35 > If gcc or other @system packages end up in your world, it's not
36 > Portage's fault. If you don't want a package added to a set or world,
37 > you'll need to use the -1 (--oneshot) option. I added it to my default
38 > emerge options in make.conf for exactly that reason (clean world);
39 > though, I have to be careful and make sure packages I care about are in
40 > a set somewhere or --depclean will wipe'em out. In short, Portage won't
41 > stop you from shooting yourself in the foot.
42 >
43 > If you decide you want to add a package to world without re-merging it,
44 > -n (--noreplace) will do the job.
45 >
46 > I'm not sure if eix-test-obsolete (from app-portage/gentoolkit) will
47 > catch a @system atom inside a set/world file, but that's where I'd
48 > expect such a notification to come from. The tool can help clean up
49 > unneeded entries in /etc/portage files, and would be a good fit for this
50 > particular issue.
51 >
52 > That said, having helpful messages is a good addition, but needs to be
53 > done in a way that is unambiguous and gives the user a clear solution.
54 >
55 > Hope this helps,
56 >
57 > zlg
58 >
59 Whoops.
60
61 s/gentoolkit/eix/
62
63 Sorry for the spam.
66 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
67 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
68 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6