From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:00:46
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> said:
3 >> a) Keep use.desc as it is: a list of common flags and a short general
4 >> description of their meaning.
5 >
6 > Sounds good.
7 >
8 >> b) Keep use.local.desc as it is: a list of per-package flags that are
9 >> specific to one to a few ebuilds (i think 5 is the number though i think 10
10 >> is more appropriate, but that's not relevant to this discussion). Again,
11 >> each has a short description.
12 >
13 > Also fine.
14 >
15 >> c) Allow flags from use.desc to also exist in use.local.desc. In the case
16 >> that a flag for a package exists in both, the use.local.desc description
17 >> overrides the use.desc one. This allows a more specific per-package
18 >> description of global flags.
19 >
20 > Still doing alright :)
21 >
22 >> d) Allow long descriptions in a package's metadata.xml, as some have begun
23 >> to do already, for cases where more info is needed. For example I'd like
24 >> to explain exactly what the bindist flag on freetype does and what legal
25 >> implications disabling it can have.
26 >
27 > Why can't this be done in use.local.desc?
28
29 My expectation is that `grep "flag" use.local.desc` will give me a list of
30 packages using that flag (or having it in the description), one per line.
31 Putting paragraphs in there doesn't seem right.
34 fonts, by design, by neglect
35 gcc-porting, for a fact or just for effect
36 wxwindows @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
39 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list