From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: libexec directory inconsistency
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 03:18:35
1 On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 12:02 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > I noticed that for dhcpcd and openrc we force their LIBEXECDIR to be
3 > $(get_libdir)/foo, which puts things in different directories depending on
4 > whether the system is multilib or not.
5 >
6 > I enquired from Robin why we do this, and I was told that libexec is
7 > supposed to contain things which are not abi specific, but we do not
8 > enforce that for /, even though we do for /usr.
9 >
10 > Is there a reason for this? If not, would it break things if we start
11 > using /libexec as well as /usr/libexec?
12
13 /libexec is also a horrible wart which we have avoided on purpose.
14 *BSD systems might use it, but we dont in Linux.
15
16 i dont think the multilib issue is terribly relevant unless the files
17 in question are used externally. with dhcpcd and openerc, the files
18 are only used internally, so keeping them in the native multilib dir
19 isnt an issue.
20 -mike