From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: Multiple root kernel command-line arguments
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2020 17:42:03
1 On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 11:59 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2020-08-06 17:44, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > I'm not sure if you've noticed but there are people actively working
5 > > towards removing stale news items and trying not to dump everything
6 > > on once on a user freshly installing the system. Don't you consider
7 > > this a worthwhile goal?
8 >
9 > I don't see how this is conflicting.
10 >
11 > This news item can probably go away after 1-2 years.
12 >
13 > But for now, people who were just lucky will probably trigger this when
14 > upgrading to genkernel-4.1 on their first reboot due to switched device
15 > manager.
16 >
17 > But again: It's not a genkernel issue, so displaying that only for
18 > people who have genkernel installed would miss a bunch of users.
19
20 I would guess that most users do not utilize kexec at all, and this
21 news item is irrelevant for them.
22
23 Personally, I agree that this is not worth spamming every Gentoo user.