From: Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 16:59:27
1 Robin H. Johnson писал 2012-05-23 19:47:
2 > On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 02:42:37PM +0200, Michael Weber wrote:
3 >> i've looked at the blockers of "[TRACKER] portage migration to git"
4 >> [1] and want to discuss "testing git-cvsserver" [2].
5 >>
6 >> There are two proposed scenarios how to migrate the developers write
7 >> access to the portage tree.
8 > The primary reasons to continue to support CVS-style access via
9 > git-cvsserver:
10 > 1. Lightweight partial/subtree checkouts
11 > - Git has implemented subtree checkouts, but they still bring down
12 > a
13 > fairly large packfile.
14 > 2. Arches were Git repos are too heavy (Kumba wanted this for MIPS)
15
16 Isnt git works with shallow clone? like
17 # git clone --depth 1 <or any other desired value>
18 git+ssh://gitrepo.uri::repo
19
20 So you can clone in this manner and push changes back
21
22 Also for depth = 1 pack size will be similar to gzipped rsync snapshot
23 (~40M)
26 > If we can get rid of #2, we're willing to live with #1.
27 >
28 >> "Clean cut" turns of cvs access on a given and announced timestamp,
29 >> rsync-generation/updates is suspended (no input -> no changes), some
30 >> magic scripts prepare the git repo (according to [3], some hours
31 >> duration) and we all checkout the tree (might be some funny massive
32 >> load).
33 > 1. You will be given git bundles instead of being allowed to do
34 > initial
35 > clone. That way it's just a resumable HTTP download.
36 > 2. rsync generation is NOT going away. Users will still be using it.
39 Best Regards,
40 Alexey 'Alexxy' Shvetsov
41 Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute, NRC Kurchatov Institute,
42 Gatchina, Russia
43 Department of Molecular and Radiation Biophysics
44 Gentoo Team Ru
45 Gentoo Linux Dev
46 mailto:alexxyum@×××××.com
47 mailto:alexxy@g.o