From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating repoman
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 21:25:26
1 On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 01:00:37PM -0800, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > I'd like to deprecate and ultimately remove repoman. I believe that
3 > dev-util/pkgcheck and pkgcommit (from app-portage/mgorny-dev-scripts)
4
5 There's also dev-util/pkgdev as an alternative to pkgcommit with more
6 features for those that want them that will feel similar to repoman
7 - pkgdev commit -c/-b bugnum (repoman commit -c/-b bugnum)
8 - pkgdev manifest (repoman manifest)
9 - pkgdev push (runs pkgcheck scan --commits before pushing)
10 - updates copyright year / manifest on commit
11 - basic commit message templates, like auto "cat/pkg: add <version>" on
12 bumps without manual editing -- prepend cat/pkg: like other tools
13 if nothing specific
14
15 And other handy features like pkgdev mask --rites days
16
17 > are far superior replacements, and it makes sense to have people using
18 > the same tool and seeing the same warnings as in the CI.
19 >
20 > Are there any useful checks or behaviors of repoman that are missing
21 > from pkgcheck and pkgcommit?
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 > Matt