From: Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 00:55:02
1 On 14.09.2018 at 0:44 user Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > This is a really odd design decision by the GCC developers. With other compilers, the separation between front end and backend is strong enough that you will never have this sort of thing. It does not seem necessary to me either. :/
3
4 You might be able to perform certain additional data/control flow analysis after things like inlining, dead code removal or devirtualization.
5
6 Moving that logic to the frontend would require essentially duplicating what's the optimizer's gonna do anyway, which might have negative effects on compilation times (both with and without optimizations) and compiler code maintenance.
7
8 BTW I'm not sure the separation on backend/frontend makes sense for modern C++ compilers. clang surely does some optimizations, and llvm (at least, in theory) is certainly able to find certain issues after more optimizer passes.
13 Georg Rudoy