From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:00:48
1 On 14/09/14 17:15, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 15 September 2014 02:40, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> However, I'm wondering if it would be possible to restrict people from
5 >> accidentally committing straight into github (e.g. merging pull
6 >> requests there instead of to our main server).
10 > Easy.
11 >
12 > Put the Gentoo repo in its own group.
13 > Don't give anyone any kinds of permissions on it.
14 > Have only one approved account for the purpose of pushing commits.
15 > Have a post-push hook that replicates to github as that approved account
16 >
17 > => Github is just a read only mirror, any pull reqs submitted there will be
18 > fielded and pushed to gentoo directly.
19 >
20 > Only downside there is the way github pull reqs work is if the final SHA1's
21 > that hit tree don't match, the pull req doesn't close.
22 >
23 > Solutions:
24 >
25 > - A) Have somebody tasked with reaping old pull reqs with permissions
26 > granted. ( Uck )
27 > - B) Always use a merge of some kind to mark the pull req as dead ( for
28 > instance, an "ours" merge to mark the branch as deprecated )
29
30 C) Ask nicely Github to have an application key and have a pull-request
31 bridge to avoid the problem completely.
32
33 I'd complete the migration first and discuss this kind of details later.
34
35 lu