From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reducing the size of distfiles for our mirrors
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:12:38
1 While I tend to agree with you on your reasoning, what would you
2 consider a commercial product?
3
4 For example, many Linux games are volunteer efforts, even though they
5 may have a commercial entity behind the Windows version. Here's an
6 example: America's Army. It weighs in at something like 380MB, but the
7 Linux port is not offered at all from the official mirrors, but rather
8 from volunteer mirrors that Ryan Gordon (icculus) rounded up himself.
9 Would it be in our best interest to take the load off the volunteer
10 servers? I think so.
11
12 I guess my main concern is that we make a clear distinction between what
13 is commercial and what is not.
14
15 As for Bioware and Neverwinter Nights, it took them long enough to get a
16 client out, grab it from their servers... ;p
17