From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Revisions for USE flag changes
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 12:01:57
1 On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 09:05:58PM +1000, Michael Palimaka wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2017 08:29 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> On 08/12/2017 03:03 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>> Please provide some examples of recent in-place USE changes that benefit
7 > >>> from revbumps.
8 > >>>
9 > >>
10 > >> There is no single example. Things only get simpler if *all* USE changes
11 > >> come with a new revision.
12 > >>
13 > > This policy change would make my life easier, because for big packages
14 > > it would encourage maintainers to not make IUSE changes until they do
15 > > revbumps, which would save me a build. I'm running on relatively old
16 > > hardware at this point so these rebuilds actually do cost me quite a
17 > > bit of time. I'm not sure that not using --changed-use is a great
18 > > option though as it will make it that much harder to keep things
19 > > consistent when I do modify my package.use/make.conf.
22 > At least now you have the option to run without --changed-use if you
23 > want. If inline IUSE changes are completely banned, you will definitely
24 > see more pointless rebuilds on your old hardware. In my experience most
25 > developers make a change when there's a change to be made, and don't
26 > "save up" changes until some arbitrary delta is reached. We've already
27 > an increase in revbumps like this in other areas where inline changes
28 > are being discouraged.
29
30 I'll give an example where revbumps are significantly inferior to
31 --changed-use.
32
33 The selinux useflag is hardmasked in all profiles except the selinux
34 ones and 99% of users do not run selinux. I regularly add "selinux ? (
35 sec-policy/selinux-foo )" to RDEPEND of packages. With --changed-use,
36 only the people who need it (ie selinux users) will rebuild and everyone
37 is happy (selinux users because the program now works and non-selinux
38 users because they did not rebuild for no reason). If i were to
39 randomly revbump packages whenever i needed to add selinux policy deps
40 to packages then i would make 99% of users upset for like no reason.
41
42 -- Jason