From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: anders thomson <andersthomson888@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree (was: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29)
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 19:49:13
1 [Proxying a message from Anders Thomson <andersthomson888@×××××.com>]
2
3 Hi Ulrich,
4 As non-devs aren't allowed to post to gentoo-dev, I was hoping that you would
5 proxy this question/comment for me.
6
7 While on the subject of changing defaults, could we consider changing the
8 (default) location of the pkg db? Roughly everything in /usr (and /(s)bin) is
9 managed by the package manager, and it would be handy if the db of installed
10 bits is close to the bits themselves . Keeping it in /var/ makes /var
11 opinionated on the current set of installed packages and thus another thing to
12 backup etc of you want "just the os/system stuff, not the applications'
13 databases". along the same vein, if you want /var to be on another storage
14 device (NAS/SAN for large databases), you get the OS's pkg db with it. If for
15 any reason a boot fails to get /var mounted, you're without the pkg db.
16
17 Something along the lines of /usr/lib/pkg ?
18
19 Best,
20 /Anders
21