From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:29:20
1 On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 02:21:31 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 | I'd suggest we preemptively incorporate an ENewsVersion or similar
3 | field as well, to be 1.0, with this proposal, but should the format
4 | ever need changed, that would allow for a format version 1.1 or 2.0
5 | or whatever. As the GLEP suggests that future GLEPs may add new
6 | headers, this would allow them to update this version field as
7 | necessary, presumably using the familiar minor version = backward
8 | compatible, major version if not backward compatible, versioning
9 | scheme.
10
11 Sounds reasonable.
12
13 | One other niggle. The encoding is specified as UTF-8, but then the
14 | format is specified as RFC-822 (7-bit ASCII, pre-i18n) compatible.
15 | I'm not up on i18n specs, but presumably there's a newer RFC that
16 | specifies how internationalized internet messages are handled in an
17 | RFC-822 backward compatible way? If so, it may make more sense to
18 | reference that specific RFC, which presumably deals with UTF-8
19 | instead of specifying 7-bit ASCII as does 822. Alternatively,
20 | MIME/Quoted-printable could be specified, which would allow for
21 | escaped 8-bit chars, as I'd /assume/ UTF-8 requires, given the -8.
22 | (I /said/ I'm not up on that!)
23
24 Hrm. The "RFC-822 like" phrase is used in various places (for example,
25 the GLEP specification) to describe the structure of the header
26 section. I don't think it precludes us also specifying UTF-8.
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm