From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] volonteers for a gentoo admin tool (portage frontend)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:00:12
1 Why? For Historical reasons <G> the unix way is individual tools that do
2 the job well, not a monolithic swiss knife type of tool (ala Windows way).
3 Seriously, I'd hate to have to use a tool that combines mirrorselect, ufed,
4 etc-update, rc-update, and everything else. If it's GUI I'd be lost in a
5 maze of menus and tabs. And it would have to be able to be run from the
6 command line since not all systems have X - then you'd have a billion
7 options to remember which would be impossible.
8
9 The Unix/Linux tool for the job works well - very well. I've had my fill
10 on managing systems (Windows) with the "one giant tool for all jobs"
11 approach. Obvioiusly, we don't have to use this tool but n short I feel we
12 the effort is better spent elsewhere. I started out using this kind of tool
13 (Webmin, etc.) on Caldera and RH and then gave up as I found they really
14 didn't do the job. In addition by digging into the command line I really
15 learned Gentoo/Linux.