From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making the hardened toolchain the default
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:32:13
1 On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 00:36, Travis Tilley wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
3 > > let's add support for this switching into gcc-config and that way people
4 > > won't have to remember the full path to the spec file... it'd know it
5 > > based on the profile info.
6 >
7 > ask.. and ye -shall- receive! BEHOLD!
8 >
9 > ayanami gcc # gcc-config -l
10 > [1] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2
11 > [2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2-hardenednossp
12 > [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.2-vanilla
13 >
14 > ^_^
15 > this is with a USE=hardened gcc. if you're not installing with
16 > USE=hardened, replace that vanilla option with a hardened option. and
17 > bam... the promise in the subject of this e-mail is fulfilled.
18 >
19 > hardened specs file logic is now installed by default for all gcc
20 > 3.4.2-r2 installs, it's just not enabled by default unless hardened is
21 > in USE. next step... world domination. oh yeah. :)
22 >
23 > at some point we need to see if upstream would even consider integrating
24 > some of our less invasive gentoo-specific patches, like the GCC_SPECS
25 > support and some of the pie logic cleanups.
26
27 I have an aversion with dealing with redhat myself for just about
28 anything these days. But I can think of a few things that would be nice
29 to unload to avoid the patching nightmares. If your game or find out
30 somebody else that is then please let me know.
34 > Travis Tilley
35 > Gentoo/AMD64/toolchain/hardened?/other
36 >
37 > --
38 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
39 --
40 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
41 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer