From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add systemd/merged-usr profiles
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 15:05:39
1 On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 9:01 AM Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > * Mike Gilbert schrieb am 01.09.22 um 03:38 Uhr:
4 > > On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Hi,
7 > > >
8 > > > That really depends.
9 > > >
10 > > > If the expectation is that everything in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*} needs to now fit on / rather than /usr we're queued to re-install a very, very large number of hosts.
11 > >
12 > > You have that reversed: the expectation is that everything in
13 > > /{bin,sbin,lib} will fit in /usr. In other words, we move files from /
14 > > into /usr.
15 >
16 > So does this mean, that having /usr on a seperate filesystem remains
17 > "supported" but is now only possible with a proper initrd?
18
19 Switching to merged-usr does make it pretty much impossible to boot
20 without an initramfs if /usr is on a separate filesystem.
21
22 Having /usr on a separate filesystem without an initramfs to mount it
23 has been "unsupported" for several years; the council made a decision
24 on that in 2013 [1].
25
26 [1] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20130813-summary.txt