From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo presentations in boston, ma, usa
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 10:02:12
1 On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 04:23:41AM -0500, Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
2 > hello all. i will be giving 2 presentations on gentoo at MIT
3 > (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) in Cambridge, MA, USA, on 1/8
4 > and 1/13. they are open to anyone who rsvps.
5 [...]
6
7 A couple of (silly) remarks if you don't mind :) It's based on the
8 presentation material available on your dev-space which you say is a bit
9 outdated, so apologies if you have already fixed those issues...
10
11 Page 2 of your presentation sais that Gentoo was started 5 years ago by
12 Daniel. Enoch was started in 1999 (which is now 5 years ago), but the name
13 Gentoo was first introduced in 2000.
14
15 Page 2 of your presentation sais that Gentoo (officially?) supports x86, ppc,
16 sparc and alpha. I believe hppa and mips are also officially supported and
17 that amd64 is in the running.
18
19 Page 5 of your presentation sais that the scripts download, compile and
20 install. Perhaps you might mention "patch" too which is a very important
21 aspect of the ebuilds.
22
23 Page 5 of your presentation gives some outdated versions:
24 glibc 2.2.5 -> 2.3.2
25 gcc 3.2.1 -> 3.2.3
26 xfree 4.2 -> 4.3
27 KDE 3.0.5 -> 3.1.4
28 Gnome 2.0.2 -> 2.4
29
30 Page 5 of your presentation gives some bootloaders (grub, lilo, yaboot,
31 bootx). Perhaps you can mention the others too (aboot, milo, silo, palo)?
32
33 Page 5 of your presentation gives some kernel examples. Do add 2.6 :)
34
35 Page 5 of your presentation mentions prelinking and ccache. Perhaps distcc is
36 worth mentioning too?
37
38 Page 9 of your presentation sais that a net connection is required for
39 installation, which isn't the case anymore (it was with the rc's).
40
41 Page 9 of your presentation sais that it is "secure by default". I don't know
42 if you should add it here, but there is a feature called sfperms which will
43 improve privileges on setuid/setgid files.
44
45 Page 15 of your presentation enters some "coming soon". The following items
46 have already been integrated:
47 - distcc
48 - cpan/portage integration
49 - cd-based installers
50 The following projects have stopped (correct me if I'm wrong plz):
51 - s/390 port
52 - embedded devices (pebenito?)
53 - cvsup instead of rsync
54
55 Perhaps new items can be:
56 - portage-ng
57 - official AMD 64 support
58 - udev support
59 - ...
60
61 Page 16 of your presentation talks about a 16-230 MiB iso images. Our basic
62 has grown out of these proportions. The new size range is about 95 - 600 MiB.
63
64 Page 16 of your presentations talks about the UT 2003 LiveCD, but that's
65 quite old now. A UT 2004 LiveCD will probably be available (see Daniel's
66 latest mails).
67
68 Page 16 of your presentation talks about LiveCDs for x86 and PPC. LiveCDs are
69 however available for: alpha, amd64, hppa (albeit outdated), ppc, sparc and
70 x86.
71
72 Page 17 of your presentation talks about the documentation. Please mention
73 the handbook as primary source for:
74 - installation instructions
75 - portage (user-level)
76 - init scripts
77 - environment variables
78 - USE flags
79
80 Page 18 of your presentation talks about the Gentoo Community. It might be
81 interesting giving some numbers. From what I gather:
82 - The forums have > 1000 posts per day and over 100 000 topics
83 - There are more than 15 active mailinglists and +40 mailinglist in
84 general
85 - #gentoo is freenode's biggest channel (700+ users)
86 - We have +50 channels
87 - bugtracking has more than 20 000 hits per day
88 - our social contract ensures the community that
89 * we will never depend on non-free software
90 * we will remain freely available
91 * we move bugreports upstream ourselves if needed
92 * we have an open bug process/development
93
94 One thing I miss in the presentation is a small talk about the organisation:
95 the projects and their goals. Also mentioning the GWN would be nice (although
96 you probably do that during the speach).
99 And finally, the Gentoo PR project is currently working on a presentation
100 template all Gentoo developers can use. I will also write up a document on
101 how presentations could be created and we will try to bundle all
102 presentations made for/by Gentoo so that updates in the distribution quickly
103 propagate to the presentations themselves.
104
105 That's it for now.
106
107 Wkr,
108 Sven Vermeulen
111 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.
112 (oo) Sven Vermeulen
113 (__) http://www.gentoo.org Documentation & PR