From: Joachim Blaabjerg <styx@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Secure Gentoo - What do you think?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:51:55
1 Hi again people,
2
3 I got an ADSL line installed yesterday (just waiting for the modem to arrive,
4 probably on friday), and I'm eager to install Gentoo. When I do (hopefully, this
5 weekend), I'll start making a new system profile for [insert "Secure Gentoo"
6 name here], so if you've got any implementation tips or clues, please tell me
7 now. :)
8
9 .plan:
10 * Play around with Portage, get to know it properly
11 * Select the packages that are to be installed in the base 'secure' system
12 * Sort out the differences between the standard Gentoo packages and my packages
13 * Make .ebuild files for the packages that are missing (libsafe, LIDS etc.)
14
15 And how do you think the whole thing should be implemented? Will it be with a
16 USE variable? Would I then have to alter every one of the .ebuild files
17 available to respect the USE variable?
18
19 I'm thinking I could solve the problem of which packages to include by having a
20 'use secure (or whatever) && die "This package is not supported in the secure
21 distro [blah blah]"' directive in the packages that won't be included (like
22 XFree86, KDE, Gnome, etc.).
23
24 Anyway, I'm just brainstorming here, and haven't really gotten to know Portage
25 yet, so there might be some much better solutions to this problem.
26
27 Best Regards,
30 Joachim Blaabjerg
31 styx@×××××.org