From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why this nonsense has to continue (Was: Some council topics for March meeting)
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:26:19
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:59:02 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > > as evidenced by
4 > > every previous time you've gotten involved with anything I've done,
5 > > and given how badly you tried to screw up GLEP 42 and how much of
6 > > my time you wasted doing so, I really don't want to deal with your
7 > > noise ever again.
8 >
9 > Save the adhominem kindly; may not like the fact that at the time you
10 > had to put forth proposals I had a say on it, but thats the way it
11 > was.
12
13 It's only ad hominem when it's irrelevant to the discussion. Since the
14 discussion is whether or not you have anything useful to contribute,
15 it's not ad hominem. An example of what would be ad hominem in this
16 situation is saying that you can't contribute because you wear women's
17 underwear.
18
19 > Further, the glep42 changes *were* intended to make it saner for
20 > portage to support, not just your manager.
21
22 The changes were irrelevant for Paludis -- supporting multiple
23 repositories or not is approximately three lines of code difference.
24 The changes were, however, hugely relevant for the GLEP. Thanks to you,
25 the GLEP had to include a whole bunch of new requirements for the
26 package manager that have absolutely nothing to do with delivering news
27 items to the end user -- and they're requirements Portage will probably
28 never meet.
29
30 > > You also have a lot to gain by wrecking the process,
31 >
32 > I gain zero by wrecking the process. Time for another history
33 > lesson...
34 >
35 > Friendly reminder, the only reason EAPI=0 is even being possible is
36 > because *I* added EAPI, against a fair bit of arguing at the time
37 > also.
38
39 As I recall, the arguments (at least the sensible, well grounded ones)
40 were over it being done via an environment variable, which highly
41 limits the scope of possible changes. The suffix alternative doesn't
42 have that or any other kind of arbitrary limit.
43
44 > Intention was for the format to evolve (add in bits stated in
45 > the other email that couldn't be done without breaking things). None
46 > of the real features folks have asked for can be added without EAPI=0
47 > defined, thus *I* have an interest in it getting finished.
48
49 Sure they can. Define EAPI 1 in terms of what it changes from existing
50 practice.
51
52 > Yes, you may dislike the form EAPI took. Point is, kindly don't
53 > claim I have anything to gain by blocking the process *I* started.
54
55 Except that blocking PMS blocks the competition, and you've already
56 shown that you're quite happy to resort to any means at your disposal
57 to do so.
58
59 > Don't like your behaviour, and can get pissed off, but that
60 > doesn't justify the attack. Besides, public ml is the wrong place
61 > for it.
62
63 No, a public ML is entirely the right place for it.
64
65 Here's how this thing works:
66
67 * Some people who don't have anything better to do start posting
68 attacks on PMS because they hate spb or myself. Flameeyes was the first
69 offender here -- it suited him politically to claim that spb never does
70 anything, so naturally repeatedly demanding PMS updates was the way to
71 go.
72
73 * A bunch of people who don't know what PMS is jump in and add to the
74 noise. Some of them think they're being helpful, some of them just want
75 to play with cool toys, and some of them
76
77 * Any claim by any of these people, no matter how absurd, left
78 unrefuted, is taken to be evidence that PMS has failed.
79
80 So yes, someone has to sit down and respond to all this idiocy, and
81 they have to do it in public. If it's left unchecked, PMS is taken to be
82 a failure.
83
84 In the mean time, trying to keep on top of this particular batch of
85 noise has amounted to about the time taken to write one and a half
86 chapters. So, if people really do care about PMS being finished, I
87 suggest they sit back and wait for a public review copy.
90 Ciaran McCreesh
91 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
92 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
93 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/