From: Andy Herrman <aherrman@××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Problem with virtual handling in emerge
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:46:25
1 Over the last 2 days I've been re-installing my laptop, using 2.6
2 (though forgot to do the 2.6 headers) and xorg. When I went to install
3 xorg I noticed something strange.
4 emerge -pv xorg-x11 ended up saying it was going to emerge xfree. If I
5 added xfree to packages.mask then xorg wouldn't install at all, as Xaw3d
6 would fail on trying to pull xfree.
7 Now, everything was using virtual/x, so that wasn't the problem. What I
8 think happened was that it defaulted to xfree (since xorg wasn't
9 installed yet), and when that was masked it didn't go back to try
10 something else. It seems to me that if the first attempt at satisfying
11 a virtual fails then portage should select an alternative (isn't that
12 the point of virtuals?).
13 Another way that this could have been fixed would be for packages that
14 would be installed previously (but in the same emerge command) to be
15 treated as installed. For instance, say I do:
16 emerge foo bar baz
17
18 baz requires virtual/thingy, which is satisfied by foo. When checking
19 the dependancies for baz, don't just look at what's currently installed,
20 but also treat foo and bar as being installed.
21 This way the problem I had wouldn't have come up, because Xaw3d (being
22 installed AFTER xorg) wouldn't need xfree, as virtual/x would have been
23 satisfied.
24
25 The way I got around this was:
26 emerge -pv xorg-x11
27 manually emerge everything listed before xorg
28 emerge --nodeps xorg-x11
29 emerge xorg-x11, then Ctrl-C when it starts
30 emerge --skipfirst --resume
31
32 Ugly, and shouldn't have to be done.
33
34 Personally, I think this is a bug in portage, but there may be good
35 reasons why things aren't done either of the ways I suggested. Are
36 there reasons to not resolve the virtual to the "first available"
37 instead of just the default, or reasons not to treat previously emerged
38 packages as being installed? I'm thinking of filling a bug report about
39 this, but if it's already been discussed then I don't want to waste the
40 time of the devs.
41
42 -Andy
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list