From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] VDB access
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 06:30:44
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > If the package manager exposes a slightly lower level interface to
3 > the USE flags then build_with_use can use that instead, and the
4 > package manager won't have to implement the full build_with_use
5 > interface. For example, portageq currently supports a "metadata"
6 > command that can be used to query installed package metadata such as
7 > USE and IUSE. Perhaps we should use some type of interface similar
8 > to that.
9
10 I'd say it depends on whether we want to support native_built_with_use
11 just as a temporary workaround until there are use deps (then just
12 package managers not using vdb would implement it, and portage need not
13 care), or we would want to use the general metadata query also for other
14 purposes.
15
16 Anyway, restricting ebuilds from vdb access sounds like a good idea to me.
17 --
18 Vlastimil Babka (Caster)
19 Gentoo/Java