From: Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 14:01:07
1 On 10/02/2021 18:57, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
5 >
6 > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable, precompiled
7 > packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package hosting.
8 > Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "
9 >
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
11 >
12 > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
13 > page.
14 >
15 > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point of
16 > the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
17 > concerned about
18 > * what configurations should we use
19
20 Others have already suggested starting with a minimal set of flags or
21 starting with the profiles, and then adding flags at request. I would
22 like to suggest the opposite approach, start with binpkgs of packages
23 which have all or most of the flags enabled, and then add more
24 specific/minimal configurations of that package later. Because from an
25 user perspective it is less of a problem to install a binpkg which has
26 more features than you need, than it is to install a binpkg which is
27 lacking a certain feature you need. Therefore, I would start with
28 configurations of packages that have most/all things enabled, and thus
29 are usable for the largest amount of people. This would pull in more
30 dependencies, but for binpkgs this is less of a problem since they don't
31 add compile time.
32
33 > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
34 > signing and verification)
35
36 I think a bugtracker for this might be a good idea at some point. In
37 general, I think that portage's binpkg support is very good already,
38 there are however some things that could be improved. Bug
39 https://bugs.gentoo.org/687668 comes to mind (and some other things that
40 were already mentioned by others).
41
42 The wiki guide on binpkgs[1] also mentions that:
43 """
44 The support for multiple binary package servers is somewhat incomplete.
45 If several servers serve a binary package for the same package version,
46 then only the first one will be considered. This can be problematic when
47 these binary packages differ in their USE variable configuration and the
48 USE variable configuration of a later binary package would match the
49 systems configuration.
50 """
51 I don't know if this is still accurate, but if it is that would
52 definitely be something that could use some improvement.
53
54 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide
55
56 > * how should hosting look like
57 > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into production"
59 >
60 > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
61 >
62 > Cheers,