From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>, Lukas Beeler <lb-lists@××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, ryan.phillips@××××.edu, blizzy@g.o, spider@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] on the matter of security and cryptography
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 09:09:43
1 On Tuesday 06 August 2002 02:00 am, Ryan Phillips wrote:
2 > On Mon, 5 Aug 2002 23:18:52 +0200
3 >
4 > Lukas Beeler <lb-lists@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > > * Ryan Phillips <ryan.phillips@××××.edu>:
6 > > > Not entirely the case... Daniel could call me, and since I trust
7 > > > daniels PGP key I could have him sign a quote that I state over the
8 > > > phone.
9 > >
10 > > And how exactly do you make sure, that you are talking to Daniel?
11 > > You dont have a Passport, which officially states who he is, you
12 > > cant compare the foto. Signing over a phone line is completely
13 > > worthless, and destroys the web of trust.
14 >
15 > I'm guessing I would meet him at Linux World...
16
17 Not only that, but you *can* verify someone is who they say they are over the
18 phone, if you've spoken to them in the past and can recognize their voice.
19 Now if you want to get into ultra-paranoid concerns about people synthesizing
20 or mimicking someone elses voice than go right on ahead, but I would point
21 out that it would be easier for a cracker to make a fake passport with his
22 picture on it and claim the developer's identity in person, so even a face to
23 face meeting isn't foolproof.
24
25 The moral: if the CIA or the FBI are intent on 'cracking' gentoo, then they
26 are probably going to succeed. However, it is extraordinarilly unlikely that
27 they would have any reason or incentive to do so, and the deception will
28 collaps anyway as soon as the real developer emerges or discovers things are
29 being signed on his/her behalf.
30
31 In a more general sense, there are two webs of trust that need to be
32 addressed, separately.
33
34 One is the web of trust between developers. Spider, drobbins, et. al. need to
35 be able to be confident that things signed by each other and other developers
36 are authentic. This web of trust should be built carefully, ideally by face
37 to face meetings or a key-signing party, but snail mailing a hard copy of the
38 public key fingerprint, and verifying the credentials over the phone once it
39 arrives, is more than likely very sufficient.
40
41 The other is the web of trust between the developers and the world at large.
42 This can be a little looser, and should probably take the form of a public
43 keyring of all the developers' public keys, downloadable from a separate
44 server than the rsync and tarball mirrors are downloaded from, made available
45 on several diverse, independent public key servers, and probably sold on
46 CDROM for a nominal price for companies and organizations that want to be
47 really, really certain they've got legitimate keys.
48
49 Nothing is perfect, but this is a solid foundation for building up a good web
50 of trust. Solid is really all we can ask for, and I would suggest it is a
51 mistake to refrain from doing anything merely because perfection is
52 impossible. In a world of billions, we can't ALL attend key signing parties
53 and meet the people we correspond with face to face, just as we cannot verify
54 every signature, on every letter we receive. This is no reason for people to
55 start passing unsigned checks, however.
56
57 Jean.