From: Alin Nastac <mrness@××××××.ro>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:56:44
1 Chris L. Mason wrote:
2
3 >On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:30:42 +0200, Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
4 >...
7 >>Sandbox should never ever be regarded as a security measure. It isn't. It
8 >>is almost trivial to subvert the sandbox. The reason for it's
9 >>effectiveness is solely that it's purpose is to protect against
10 >>accidental installing outside of the destination directory and so
11 >>subverting the package management (in short protecting against bad
12 >>makefiles and ebuilds). It IS NOT SECURE.
17 >So, if builds (and installs to temporary target) were done as a
18 >regular user, wouldn't that obviate the need for a sandbox at all?
19 >Also, this would make things a lot safer on macos (and presumably
20 >BSD), where the sandbox does not work.
24 Strictly speaking, you may be more secure if you compile as a non-root
25 user but it doesn't fit its purpose which is make sure you don't put
26 files outside /var/tmp/portage/$P. As joe, you could write in /home/joe
27 and violate the restriction.
28 Besides, don't we trust gentoo dev? Or main site of a particular
29 package? If not, why the hell do we install their program(s) in the
30 first place?
31
32 Sandbox _is_ what portage need. Not security but a safe net in case
33 something is screwed up.