From: Louis Sautier <sbraz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stabilisation of app-admin/ansible-2.10.0
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 10:20:18
1 On 15/09/2020 12:03, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Dear Matthew,
3 >
4 > I notice that you have recently stabilised app-admin/ansible-2.10.0 in
5 > Gentoo. Ansible upstream has introduced in that version major changes to
6 > their project structure [1] which given the current state of Ansible
7 > packaging in Gentoo can be considered severely breaking for our users.
8 > Therefore, please:
9 > 1. Revert stabilisation of 2.10.0, and
10 > 2. Either
11 > * by no means remove 2.9.12 from the tree for the time being, and
12 > before attempting to stabilise 2.10+ again either prepare a news item
13 > warning the users about upcoming breaking changes or package a suitable
14 > set of formerly-core modules; or
15 > * simply pull the current incarnation of 2.10.0 from the tree and
16 > only reintroduce it once the ansible (*not* ansible-base) on PyPI has
17 > actually been upgraded to 2.10.
20 > Explanation for the ML:
21 >
22 > Starting with version 2.10, the upstream package previously known as
23 > ansible is formally known as "ansible-base" and only provides the bare
24 > minimum of functionality - the core programs, some documentation, and a
25 > tiny subset of modules and plugins to allow for a functioning
26 > controller. All the other modules which were previously part of core
27 > ansible (see [2]) are now independent modules.
28 >
29 > Note that this only pertains to upstream packages of Ansible released on
30 > GitHub. On PyPI, "ansible" will continue to bundle the "core" modules;
31 > this is explicitly mentioned in several places in [1]. The problem is,
32 > =app-admin/ansible-2.10.0 has quietly replaced pypi:ansible with
33 > pypi:ansible-base in SRC_URI. This may or may not have had something to
34 > do with the fact pypi:ansible has not been updated to 2.10.0 yet (for
35 > now it's only pre-releases for that branch).
36 >
37 > References:
38 >
39 > [1] https://github.com/ansible-collections/overview/blob/main/README.rst
40 > [2]
41 > https://github.com/ansible-community/ansible-build-data/blob/main/2.10/ansible.in
42 >
43 If they are indeed going to release a "normal" version with core
44 modules, I'm in favour of separating ansible and ansible-base, which is
45 what upstream did in its PPA.
46
47 That would mean removing ansible 2.10 from the tree and re-adding it as
48 ansible-base 2.10.