From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dist name...
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:36:19
1 On Wednesday 07 August 2002 07:20 am, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2
3 > And why not let drobbins choose his own name. You can name your ditribution
4 > all the way _you_ want to name it. It doesn't matter what the kernel is or
5 > what the basic software like libc and utils like mount come from if he
6 > chooses to call it after the Kernel it's running let him do that.
7
8 Well, if you want to fall back to an appeal to authority that is your
9 decision, but my understanding of this entire discussion is that there is a
10 desire to reach a consensus on this sort of thing. Otherwise, why even talk
11 about it?
12
13 Clearly there are two groups, bitterly divided on this one minor point but
14 otherwise united in their enthusiasm with respect to Linux in general and
15 Gentoo in particular. It seems silly to have free software enthusiasts
16 bickering over this point, especially if there is an easy solution that would
17 satisfy all but the most extreme zealots on either side.
18
19 My compromise is an effort to bridge that division, by having two very similar
20 names (one with and one without the GNU), and a defacto notion that Linux is
21 an abbreviation for GNU/Linux in much the same way LA is an abbreviation for
22 whatever that gawdauful long name for Los Angeles really is.
23
24 > > but I think the vast majority of people on either side could live with
25 > > either compromise just fine.
26 >
27 > And quite a lot just don't care what it's called anyway but care about
28 > what's in and how it works.
29
30 Yes, and I fall into that group as well. But clearly a lot of people DO care,
31 so if their is a straightforward and easy way to address the issue and bridge
32 these differences, why not consider it?
33
34 Jean.