From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] metadata.xml un<herd/>-ization, v2
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:47:26
1 >>>>> On Tue, 9 Dec 2014, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I thought we were generally agreed we wanted to get rid of herds.
4 > The goal wasn't to rename them, but to get rid of them.
5
6 > We could have email aliases for bugs so that people can sign up for
7 > notifications, but they would NOT be considered maintainers. Of
8 > course, any would be welcome to become actual maintainers, but as
9 > far as treecleaning/etc goes the package is unmaintained.
10
11 > If we just rename "herd" to "team" then we have the same issue where
12 > nobody can tell if anybody is taking care of anything because it all
13 > goes into some nebulous bin full of packages where nobody is
14 > responsible for anything in particular, and nobody can speak for the
15 > "team" because it isn't really a team.
16
17 > How about "contact" instead of team. A package could have any
18 > number of contacts, and they just get CC'ed on bugs, and there is no
19 > meaning to a contact besides being CC'ed on bugs. They're never
20 > assignees - if there is nobody else in metadata besides a contact
21 > then the assignee is maintainer-wanted.
22
23 Now sure it I get this, so can you explain with a concrete example?
24 Let's say, for a package that currently has <herd>xemacs</herd> in its
25 metadata.
26
27 Ulrich