From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Prefix bootstrap script maintainability (Was: No more stable keywords for Games)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:56:22
1 On 20-11-2017 11:53:32 -0600, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > Hello friends!
3 >
4 > On Monday, November 20, 2017, Sergei Trofimovich <[1]slyfox@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 22:47:35 -0600
6 > > R0b0t1 <[2]r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Understanding an existing codebase should not be a technical
9 > >> challenge. I had to resort to reimplementing all of the steps myself,
10 > >> in part to understand if they were done properly in the first place.
11 > >
12 > > Looks like you are an expert in this area now and are perfectly capable
13 > > of submitting the patches. I can review them at least for crossdev.
16 > In my goal to understand bootstrap-rap I am still in the process of creating
17 > something crossdev-like that can be used to generate a toolchain.
18 >
19 > A recurring problem I have had is that this set of related tasks - generating
20 > cross compilers and packages, generating an initramfs, or generating a prefixed
21 > pseudoinstallation - all start by reimplementing some subset of portage.
22 >
23 > For prefix/RAP it makes sense, for the others possibly not.
24
25 You may also want to understand that cross-compiling (or compilers) in
26 itself is a very difficult topic to get right. Mixing that with Prefix
27 FAICT never got out of the lab-setting in which it was attempted.
28
29 > >> Unfortunately these are things that the original authors should
30 > >> produce. Experience has shown me that documentation written by
31 > >> ancillary contributors that do not have deep experience with the code
32 > >> base is poor.
33
34 Like Benda said, documentation can always be improved.
35
36 In the case for bootstrap-prefix, it used to be documented in terms of
37 steps and why one had to do them that way. Somewhere at the start of
38 2006, when there was like 150 packages, and one arch (ppc-macos), said
39 script didn't exist. As it stands today, the key decisions and
40 workarounds are actually documented, but as RAP actually shows, if you
41 only focus on a specific use-case, you can get rid of a lot of (what
42 appears to be) nonsense. It's the context in which you look at the
43 projects you refer to.
44
45 > Yes, that is what I am doing with my own code as I have the time to
46 > write it. I mostly still have no idea what is going on in the already
47 > written code.
48
49 Perhaps open up the dicussion on the related project's mailing lists.
50 At least I haven't come across any request to explain certain
51 bits/decisions yet.
52
53 Thanks,
54 Fabian