From: Ioannis Aslanidis <aslanidis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Handling of LINGUAS
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:00:37
1 There are quite a few more packages (under the kde herd) that provide
2 the linguistic functionality. The only difference with those and
3 kde-i18n is that english is enforced and cannot be stripped off from
4 those packages.
5
6 The kde-i18n death message was added because kde-meta had to pull it
7 as well. Then we noticed that it was bringing problems with the
8 english locale, no locales or unsupported locales. There were various
9 proposed solutions, as you can see in bug #137297. We opted to remove
10 the death message and show a notice in the cases where there was no
11 LINGUAS defined or the provided locale set was unsupported. IMHO,
12 forcing LINGUAS into make.conf isn't a clean solution.
13