From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] new eselect module: compiler
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 16:17:06
1 On 08/08/2016 10:58 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 08-08-2016 13:45:07 -0500, R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Lei Zhang <zhanglei.april@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> "cc" is the standard C compiler name defined in POSIX, so ideally any
5 >>> gcc-agnostic programs should use "cc" instead of "gcc". Practically,
6 >>> build tools like GNU Make and CMake would be affected as they use "cc"
7 >>> implicitly.
8 >>
9 >> It is not just programs which rely on GNU extensions, but poorly
10 >> created scripts that rely on a compiler directly or otherwise break
11 >> portability.
12 >
13 > I'd agree and say "gcc" is hardcoded in many places, that's why I
14 > believe Apple includes a gcc which is clang on their systems, same for
15 > cc.
16 >
17 > As a question to Lei, I'm wondering why you chose eselect compiler, and
18 > not gcc-config to manage the links. In a way, gcc-config is tailored
19 > towards gcc, but it does a lot of things also for the environment. With
20 > clang, from my experience, you just want it as drop-in replacement for
21 > gcc as it doesn't give you too much issues (on Darwin at least).
22 >
23 > Fabian
27 I'm guessing you Darwin folks don't compile many Linux kernels? The last
28 I heard, clang is not yet a drop-in replacement for gcc when building
29 the Linux kernel:
30
31 http://llvm.linuxfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page
32 --