From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:52:53
1 On Wed, 9 Sep 2015 00:24:55 -0700 Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > > For stability and maintainability, I'd prefer www-client/chromium
3 > > to use the upstream defaults (gtk+-2 AFAIK) since it's most common,
4 > > tested, and supported configuration. If/when upstream moves to
5 > > gtk+-3, we'd just follow.
6 > >
7 > > I also understand we have users who are eager to run various
8 > > configurations, and expect Gentoo to be flexible and allow that.
9 > > Would masking a gtk3 USE flag for www-client/chromium be
10 > > acceptable? Are there any other solutions that might work?
11 > >
12 > > Paweł
13 > >
14 > x11-misc/spacefm supports multiple toolkits as well. I stay in line
15 > with GNOME suggestions by making gtk3 the default, but gtk2
16 > configurable via USE. Versioned USE flags are generally frowned upon,
17 > but I see no better way to support both a GTK3 default *and* allow for
18 > the GTK2 support. Part of the reason I came to Gentoo (and became a
19 > dev) is to support user choice, and personally as a maintainer that
20 > matters more than suggestions.
21 >
22 > If the GNOME team has a solid recommendation for supporting both GTK2
23 > and 3, I'll read it. But for now, defaulting IUSE to gtk3 and allowing
24 > the user to set gtk2 is the best of both worlds imo.
25
26 The chromium upstream recommends gtk2, so it should be the default,
27 even if the GNOME team recommends gtk3.
28
29 Best regards,
30 Andrew Savchenko