From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] robo-stable bugs
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 15:14:18
1 On 05/22/2013 11:00 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Wed, 22 May 2013 08:53:06 -0400
3 > Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
4 >
6 >> Hash: SHA256
7 >>
8 >> On 21/05/13 07:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
9 >>> [ Snip reasons for why opt-out is bad ]
10 >> So why don't we add something to package metadata, to indicate that a
11 >> package is OK to be considered for auto-stabilization?
12 > Package or ebuild or SLOT or what? Please explain what these
13 > metadata.xml entries should look like. Also, since we're working per
14 > ebuild, and not per package, why couldn't we include this in each
15 > individual ebuild? What happens when you've set the variable, tag or
16 > whatever, and then an obscure bug pops up (and you're not CC'd because
17 > the bug appears in a dependent package three branches removed) and
18 > then your robo-call comes in for that ebuild?
19 >
20 > It's a neat idea, but the red tape would stretch to Alpha Centauri and
21 > back. IOW, it's hardly maintainable unless you can afford the espresso
22 > machine and all of your spare time. Common sense and proper research
23 > usually cuts that short. Automating CC'ing arch teams would probably
24 > only catch this in a very late stage, if at all in time before an
25 > ebuild is deemed "stable".
28 > jer
31 My expectation is that something in metadata.xml would operate
32 *per-package* to allow the maintainer of that package to say "hey, let
33 me do my own thing here." Trying to set those values per-ebuild sounds
34 like a bug farm as those values are accidentally set wrong from time to
35 time. Then you try writing something to automate the maintainer side of
36 things, and you've got more lines of (theoretically possibly buggy) code
37 to worry about.
38
39 "let me do my own thing here" would start off as "don't touch my
40 packages". Trying to plan more granularity than that at the outset seems
41 a lot like trying to tell the future.