From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:34:41
1 On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 07:28:41PM -0800, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 3/10/12 6:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about
4 >
5 > I guess we could pour more effort in getting dracut more easy to use
6 > and/or try to figure out which are the items that should be moved to /
7 > and fix the remaining ones...
8
9 I highly discourage moving more things to /. If you google for things
10 like, "case for usr merge", "understanding bin split", etc, you will
11 find much information that is very enlightening about the /usr merge and
12 the reasons for the /bin, /lib, /sbin -> /usr/* split.
13
14 I'll start another thread about this farely soon, but for now I'll say
15 that even though Fedora is a strong advocate of the /usr merge, it
16 didn't start there. Solaris started this 15 years ago, and I think it
17 would be a good thing for gentoo to implement the /usr merge at some
18 point to make us more compatible with other unixes. Another thing to add
19 is that it appears that at least Fedora and Debian are doing this.
20
21 William