From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 17:52:59
1 On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:03:36 -0500
4 > James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Every current category matches /^[a-z]+-[a-z]+$/. With the possible
6 >> exception of adding moving from [a-z]+ to [a-z0-9]+, that shoud
7 >> remain.
8 >
9 > Untrue. 'virtual' doesn't. If you want the rules for what constitutes a
10 > valid category name, consult PMS. If you want to know what categories
11 > are actually present, consult 'profiles/categories' or your package
12 > mangler.
13
14 Tend to agree. We should use whatever makes the most sense. I'm not
15 sure how many packages we're actually talking about though - might
16 make sense to introduce a new category when we need it.
17
18 There are a lot of assumptions people make which aren't backed by PMS.
19 Probably the more common one is the concept that EAPIs are numerical
20 and/or orderable. The whole concept of the "best/newest" EAPI depends
21 on that assumption.
22
23 Rich