From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo vmware/virtualbox/qemu images
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:03:10
1 On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 19:01 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Hi there,
3 >
4 > At the OpenExpo here in Zurich I got many requests for a vmware image of
5 > Gentoo. What do you think of providing a "live image" in addition to the
6 > minimal- and live-cd's?
7
8 Bug #115902
9
10 If you can answer the questions in that bug sufficiently, feel free to
11 revisit this. Also, please contact the team that would likely be doing
12 all of the work to get this sort of thing done prior to bringing up such
13 a proposal, especially when there's already a bug report open for
14 it. ;]
15
16 We now have a wonderful x86 Release Coordinator, which was one of the
17 blockers in doing a VMware image before. Of course, there's always the
18 "what is Gentoo" question to determine what we would put in a VM.
19
20 I don't get this obsession with a "live image" when someone can boot the
21 LiveCD/LiveDVD on real hardware *or* in VMware. They can even boot the
22 ISO directly and not even have to burn to disk, so people without a DVD
23 burner can still use the LiveDVD. So exactly what problem are we trying
24 to solve with creating an image that cannot be solved with our current
25 media? Where do you plan on storing such a large image? What other
26 media are you planning on us removing to support it?
27
28 (By the way, I am planning on adding support for creating VMware images
29 to catalyst, so this will eventually be something much easier for us in
30 Release Engineering...)
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation