From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 10:17:59
1 On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 20:05:40 -0400
2 Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Longer-term, I think this entire approach should be revisited by the TeX
5 > team to make it behave more like Perl or Python packages by having discrete
6 > ebuilds for these modules. That's not exactly a small undertaking, but
7 > this current approach feels very kludgy in its design and is probably
8 > asking for trouble. I looked at several of the modules on CTAN, and they
9 > each have their own version and even have different licenses.
10
11 With the current state of the portage dependency resolver, and with
12 regards to the constant problems end users face with it, I really can't
13 advise this unless you need to.
14
15 Currently working on vendoring rust in an overlay, and 128 ebuilds just
16 to satisfy the dependencies enough to test *one* package is a bit of a
17 piss-take.
18
19 I'd suggest waiting a few years for portage to see some improvements
20 here before taking on something that ambitious when the current
21 approach works well enough.