From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: add-on files handling improvements
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:47:19
1 All,
2
3 I want to start a discussion about our add-on files practice and try to
4 improve it.
5
6 I agree it is reasonable to install bash completions
7 unconditionally, because bash is part of the base requirement for
8 Gentoo. However, I do not agree that we should continue installing
9 add-on files for everything under the sun unconditionally.
10
11 I believe, back in the day we started this practice, portage did not
12 support --newuse or --changed-use, so there was no way to only update
13 packages that had changed or new use flags. In that situation, I
14 understand why we installed all of these add-on files unconditionally
15 and told users to use INSTALL_MASK if they wanted them not to be on
16 their systems.
17
18 However, I feel that we should update our practice now since we have these
19 features available to us and to our users.
20
21 In my previous thread about zsh, it was suggested that I could use the
22 zsh-completion use flag to control zsh-completion installation, and not
23 rdepend on zsh. This is now how pybugz is set up.
24
25 The suggestion was made because zsh is not common, so let's try to
26 define what common means to get an idea of when use flags can be used
27 like this.
28
29 I think the most fair/objective way to define whether something is
30 common is whether or not it is part of the base requirement, like bash,
31 or whether it is the default provided by a virtual. In either of those
32 cases, I would say it makes sense to install add-on files that the
33 program might use unconditionally.
34
35 Thoughts?
36