From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Devmanual text on ChangeLogs
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 06:51:46
1 On 02-05-2011 02:04:57 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > Having the servers do that, will also allow us to provide cut down
3 > > Changelogs ( lets say keep that last 10 entries ) so we can provide
4 > > a more minimal portage tree, size wise.
5 >
6 > Ten is way too small. Chances are that after one round of
7 > stabilisations the ChangeLog entry for the last real change to the
8 > package will be gone. We should keep at least one year (better two)
9 > of history, because our aim is that users' systems should still be
10 > upgradeable after this time. And IMHO emerge -l should give the user
11 > the full list of changes since his last update.
12
13 How about forgetting the time constraint, but just keeping all changelog
14 entries for all ebuilds that are in the tree?
18 Fabian Groffen
19 Gentoo on a different level