From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: New profiles for default-pie transition (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp", v2)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 15:33:15
1 On Wed, 10 May 2017 15:29:19 +0200
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > * generate a new set of profiles 17.0 where it's package.use.forced
5 > * tell people they may have to rebuild world when they switch
6
7 Do we really need to rebuild world?
8 From what I understand problems arise if we have packages installing
9 static libraries that aren't built position independent.
10 However that's only a small fraction of packages and we should be
11 easily able to detect them.
12
13 Can't we just provide a small script or bash oneliner that will rebuild
14 all affected packages?
15
16 (other than that I think the profile plan sounds reasonable)
19 Hanno Böck
20 https://hboeck.de/
21
22 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
23 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42